On 14th March 1498, Leipzig City Council finally decided to found a citizen school in the St. Nicholas churchyard. A document shows that as early as 1395, Pope Boniface IX had already given his consent to founding such a school. Up to this point, the only school existing in Leipzig was the St. Thomas ecclesiastical school at the Augustinian monastery, formed in 1212. The schoolhouse at Nikolaikirchhof 2 was eventually able to open in 1512. The first school master in 1512/13 was Johannes Rumpfer, who simultaneously acted as dean of the Faculty of Philosophy at the University. In addition to Richard Wagner, Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, Christian Thomasius and Johann Gottfried Seume, as well as Guido Theodor Apel, who was a close friend of Wagner’s, also attended the school. The simple building with its Spartan furnishing was modified and extended several times throughout the centuries. The classical auditorium on the 2nd floor (Richard Wagner Hall) came into being in 1827, presumably under the direction of the Director of Town Planning, August Wilhelm Kanne (1783–1827). Its sparse architectural wall structure was rebuilt during the building‘s renovation and restoration in the years 1991–1994 (according to findings). Richard Wagner must have seen this hall in roughly this arrangement, but with school desks (as the room was used for normal school activities as well as festivities) when he was registered at St. Nicholas School on 21st January 1828.