The “Coffee Baum” was built in 1556 and is one of Germany’s oldest coffee houses. A drastic renovation and new construction of the building was carried out in 1703. In 1717 the Electoral Saxon and Royal Polish court chocolatier, Johann Lehmann, took possession of the house and had it converted into a lavish coffeehouse in 1718/19. The central axis of the facade was accentuated with sandstone jambs, two baroque window gables and a scenic sculpture above the entrance.
Robert Schumann often visited the Coffee Baum from 1833 until 1840 to discuss his “Neue Zeitschrift für Musik” within the circle of the so-called “Davidsbündler”. The society was led by Robert Schumann and consisted above all of young musicians who were dissatisfied with the situation in Germany as far as music was concerned. Although Wagner did not participate in the round table discussions in the Coffee Baum, he was acquainted with Robert Schumann and other “Davidsbündler”. In 1834, articles written by Richard Wagner appeared in issues No. 63 (6th November) and 64 (10th November) of the “Neue Zeitschrift für Musik” under the pseudonym Canto Spinato.