The two-storey manor to the east of Schkeuditz, located in the meadow landscape of the White Elster, was acquired in 1771 by the Leipzig lawyer, councillor and later Mayor of Leipzig, Heinrich Friedrich Innozenz Apel. The Apel family subsequently used the Baroque building as a summer residence. The little castle is now used for cultural purposes. Besides Carl Maria von Weber (composer, conductor and pianist) and Friedrich Rochlitz (music critic and publisher of the “Allgemeinen Musikalischen Zeitung”), the young Richard Wagner, who was close friends with Guido Theodor Apel (1811–1867), was also a guest at the time. The lively exchange of letter bears witness to this. Wagner wrote 42 letters to his friend Theodor Apel in the period from 1832 to 1836. Theodor Apel had left St. Nicholas School a year before Richard Wagner and had moved on to study law at the University of Leipzig in 1830. Like many young people in the upper classes, he also indulged in distinct poetic and musical tendencies. Wagner wrote an overture for Theodor Apel’s drama “Columbus”, which he performed as a young conductor in Magdeburg. During a ride together on 7th April 1836, Apel introduced Wagner to Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy who came from Berlin and was a conductor at the Leipzig Gewandhaus from 1835. Theodor Apel, who lost his eyesight shortly after Wagner’s departure due to a fall from his horse, remains unforgotten in Leipzig thanks to what are known as the Apel-stones. From 1863 he commissioned over 44 memorial stones to mark the Battle of the Nations of 1813.