In the years 1780/81, at the suggestion of the art-loving Mayor Müller, a concert hall was built by the architect Johann Carl Friedrich Dauthe into the second floor of the armoury wing of the Gewandhaus in the street known today as Universitätstrasse. The Leipziger Gewandhausorchester still bears the name of the concert hall today. The hall was famous for its excellent acoustics. It stood until 1894 and was torn down between 1893 and1901 due to the construction of the “Städtischen Kaufhaus”, the first dedicated sample fair in Europe. A large number of Wagner’s compositions were performed in the Gewandhaus concert hall. This started on 23rd February 1832 when his Overture in D minor was included on the programme of the 16th subscription concert. A report on the concert was included in the 18th edition of the “Allgemeine musikalische Zeitung” from 2nd May 1832. On 10th January 1833, another of Richard Wagner’s pieces was on the Gewandhausorchester’s programme: it was Wagner’s first, and only completed, Symphony in C major. Incidentally, the pianist, Clara Wieck, then only 13-years -old, also performed at the end of the first part of the concert evening.