The history of the old St. John’s cemetery begins in 1278. Hygiene reasons and, in particular, the frequent occurrence of the plague were decisive factors influencing Duke George’s decree of 1536, designating God’s Acre as the city’s only burial ground. The last burial took place in 1883. The tombs of many of Wagner’s contemporaries are located in the cemetery. His mother, Johanna Rosine Wagner (1778–1848) and his sister Rosalie Marbach (1803–1837) were buried here. Furthermore, the graves of Franz Matthias von Treuenfeld (referred to as Eduard Stein, 1764–1827), a member of the Leipzig City Theatre, Karl Friedrich August Nobbe (1791–1878), the erstwhile professor and rector at St. Nicholas School (1828–1866), and Karl Theodor Küstner (1784–1864), the first permanent theatre director in Leipzig, can all be found in the old St. John’s cemetery. Mention can also be made of Johann Friedrich Rochlitz (1769–1842), a well-known music critic at the time and publisher of the “Allgemeinen Musikalischen Zeitung”, Christian Theodor Weinlig (1780–1842), director of music, cantor at St. Thomas School and Wagner‘s teacher, and Friedrich Wilhelm Ehrenfried Rost (1768–1835), professor and rector at St. Thomas school.