Birthplace of Richard Wagner, Brühl 3 - Now a former department store (”Blechbüchse“ – tin box), Brühl 20
Richard Wagner is born in the year of the Leipzig Battle of Nations on 22 May 1813 ”on the Brühl, in the house of the red and white lion, two flights up“, the ninth child of the police clerk Friedrich Wagner (1770–1813) and his wife Johanna Rosine Pätz (1778–1848). Friedrich Wagner succumbs to a typhus epidemic on 23 November. Ludwig Geyer (1778–1821), a longstanding friend of the family, actor, painter and poet, marries Richard‘s mother on 28 August 1814, with the family subsequently moving to Dresden. Following the demolition of the building in 1886 various buildings were erected on the site, including a department store, which received a memorial plaque created by the Leipzig sculptor Fritz Zalisz (1937–1970). The reconstruction of the Brühl by ”mfi Management für Immobilien AG“ is set to be completed by 2010. The ”Blechbüchse“ will be included in the ensemble and a place of memorial to Richard Wagner established.